URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS AFFECT 80% OF WOMEN
Canadian women make about 500,000 visits to doctors per year due to UTIs. Half of all women over the age of 65 experience at least one infection per year. UTIs affect 80 percent of women at least once in their lifetime.
The vast majority of UTIs are caused by bacteria (E. coli) that are commonly found in the vagina and/or colon and rectal area and are introduced through the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the body). Women are more susceptible to infection than men because their urethra is shorter and situated closer to the anus. Risks that can create a vulnerability to UTIs are blockages in the urethra (due to either past infections or structural abnormalities), stress, pregnancy, food allergies, sexual intercourse, oral contraceptive use, diaphragms, diabetes, a weakened immune system and hormonal imbalances brought on by menopause. Waiting too long to urinate also increases your risk. Candida overgrowth is also a contributing factor. Women with recurring vaginal infections have more UTIs.
Antibiotic therapy is the most common treatment. Bacterial resistance, candida yeast overgrowth, irritable bowel and stomach upset are a few side effects from this treatment. Furthermore, if you have recurring UTIs, antibiotics can become less effective. Today, many experts recommend that natural treatments using cranberry and probiotics be used first before antibiotics if no fever or pain is present.
Cranberries effectively treat UTIs. The proanthocyanidins (tannins) in cranberry inhibit E. coli from sticking to bladder walls and halt infection. The cranberry in PROBIOTIC plus contains all the vital parts are used including the pulp, seeds, skin and juice. Most cranberry products use only dehyrated juice.
In a Current Bioactive Compounds study, ninety women between 18 and 40 years of age were followed for 90 days. The subjects were randomly assigned to three groups including a placebo group, a low dose treatment group (500 mg daily) and a high dose treatment group (1000 mg daily). The study found that a daily dose of 500 mg of whole cranberry was shown to significantly reduce the presence of E. coli in test subjects and provided symptomatic relief.
Probiotics, "friendly bacteria," are essential for preventing and treating not only yeast infections but also UTIs. Bifidobacterium longum (BB536) has been extensively researched for 30 years and has been proven to prevent and treat candida yeast infections and to replenish good bacteria after antibiotic use. BB536 supports the immune system and lowers cholesterol too. It has also been shown to reduce E. coli infection and to prevent diarrhea and constipation.
BB536 is shelf stable so it does not require refrigeration and it has the highest count of friendly, good bacteria found in these types of supplements. Probiotic+ is an affordable combination of whole cranberry and BB536 Bifidobacterium to help eliminate UTIs and reduce the need for antibiotic therapy with its side effects.
HEALTH TIPS TO HALT UTIS
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. It is the cheapest substance to reduce pain and burning due to UTIs
- Eat plain acidophilus-rich yogurt daily
- Urinate when your body tells you. Don't wait - this increases the likelihood of infection
- Wear cotton underwear
- Use organic cotton, unbleached panty liners, pad and tampons instead of the bleached varieties more commonly sold
- Position yourself on top during intercourse to reduce the amount of bacteria being pushed into the urethra
- Urinate immediately after intercourse
- Do not use douches
- Take Probiotic+ for treatment and prevention
- Relief from urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Control candida yeast infections
- Stops burning during urination
- Protects against the effects of antibiotics
- Reduces candida during antibiotic therapy
- Stops bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall
- Reduces the risk of recurring bladder infections
- Previously called URIsmart
- NPN 80034410
Take 2-4 capsules daily or as directed by a health care practitioner.
EACH CAPSULE CONTAINS:
|Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) (50:1)||250 mg|
|Bifidobacterium longum (100% BB536)||2.5 billion CFU|
This product does not contain artificial colours or sweeteners, dairy, soy, shellfish, corn, wheat or yeast. VEGAN-FRIENDLY.